Sponsor

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Beckham looking forward to ownership role in MLS after playing career ends

David Beckham will leave Major League Soccer as a player after the MLS Cup final on Dec. 1, but he plans to return as an owner once he retires. 

The English midfielder announced this week that he will leave the LA Galaxy following the cup final against the Houston Dynamo, with one last playing stint ahead. After that, he plans to return to the United States. 

"Management is something that I'm not interested in, but ownership – definitely," Beckham said Tuesday. 

The 37-year-old Beckham said that a clause in his initial contract with MLS enables him to buy in as an owner after he hangs up his cleats. 

"I think his experience, his presence, his name is going to do wonders for whichever club he ends up being a part of," Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said. 

Anschutz Entertainment Group – which runs the Galaxy, the Los Angeles Kings and the Staples Center, among other entities – is up for sale. 

"I heard that," Beckham said. "We'll see."

So, how would Arena feel potentially working for a former player? 

"I've been working for him for the past four years," Arena joked. "I'm happy I'm getting a break a little bit." 

Galaxy captain Landon Donovan took a similarly jovial tone to the question of if he could work for Beckham. 

"Sure, I could play for him," Donovan said. "If he pays me enough I will."

Whatever team he does buy, and initial reports suggested Los Angeles and New York aren't in play, Arena can't imagine Beckham too far from the field. 

"I'm sure he'll be very good," Arena said. "My guess is David's not going to be sitting behind a desk 12 hours a day in a management capacity."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Web Site Hit Counter
Ultraflex Lenses